Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Mmm, beer ... Doh!

Last evening all five of us cycled up to the Cambridge Beer Festival on Jesus Green.  It's an annual outdoor event boasting upward of 200 "real ales" (cask ales of traditional ingredients, having British origin). The also had 80 or so foreign beers, most bottled, but some kegged, along with mead and some other spirits.  American beer is foreign, and we were pleased to see one of our favorites: Victory Brewing Company's Golden Monkey.  (Victory is located near Philadelphia, and we had dinner at their brewpub on a couple of occasions.)  At the festival I tried four beers, two British, one Belgian, and one German.  All were pretty good.  My favorite was the Kerkom Bink Blond (Belgian).

The event was much improved by Gavin, Mateja. and their two girls joining us.  Our kids and theirs ran around like crazy in the family area while we adults sipped our brews.  It was particularly funny to watch Lena (aged 3) try to pick up Colin (aged 5) and carry him around, for some unknown reason.

As we were packing up to leave, I realized I didn't have my keys.  Doh!   Where could they be?  In my hampered state, I wandered around to where we'd been, and inquired with the festival volunteers, but no sign of them.  With no keys, neither mine nor Colin's bikes could be unlocked.  So I ended up riding Kim's bike back home, with Anne and Tim following, while Kim and Colin received a ride home.  I ran back to the festival with a spare key, and ended up riding home on my bicycle, carrying Colin's bike as I went.  (It's pretty small.)

The story has a happy ending: I went back today, and while no one had turned in the keys last night, it occurred to me, as I was leaving, to look in tall grass where our bikes had been parked. And sure enough, there they were!

I may need to go back to the festival later, to celebrate with another pint ...

No comments: