One reason I probably won't stop drinking coffee is that Microsoft Research (MSR) provides free coffee that is just outstanding. I've never had coffee this good. The machine that produces it is one of the "superautomatic" machines by La Cimbali (though the one we have is not shown in the linked page). Apparently it can be calibrated to produce coffee to the tastes of a particular region. Luca Cardelli, a principal researcher at MSR, personally ensures that the operator sets the machine to the Italian calibration. I probably have three cappuccinos a day. Yum!
The UK (perhaps all of Europe?) doesn't really do drip coffee like we do in the states, from what I understand. We have two coffee makers at home. One is a press; ours is by Bodum.
You spoon your ground coffee into the decanter, pour boiling water on top of it, and cover it with the lid. Underneath the top of the lid rests a movable metal filter. After a few minutes of soaking, you use a lever on the top of the lid to push the filter downward, which presses all the grounds to the bottom of the decanter, and keeps them there. Then you pour out the coffee. It's stronger than drip coffee, and I think I prefer it to drip.
You spoon your ground coffee into the decanter, pour boiling water on top of it, and cover it with the lid. Underneath the top of the lid rests a movable metal filter. After a few minutes of soaking, you use a lever on the top of the lid to push the filter downward, which presses all the grounds to the bottom of the decanter, and keeps them there. Then you pour out the coffee. It's stronger than drip coffee, and I think I prefer it to drip.We also bought a stovetop espresso maker at our local Limoncello store. We have the 3-cup variety.
It's got two parts that screw together. You stick the water in the bottom, and the coffee grounds rest in a filter above it. Then you screw on the top and stick it on the stove. After a while the water heats up and pushes through the filter, going through the grounds in the process, and ends up in the top part. It works pretty well, and produces pretty good espresso (as good as our espresso machine at home). Limoncello also has a nice supply of Italian coffee, too.
It's got two parts that screw together. You stick the water in the bottom, and the coffee grounds rest in a filter above it. Then you screw on the top and stick it on the stove. After a while the water heats up and pushes through the filter, going through the grounds in the process, and ends up in the top part. It works pretty well, and produces pretty good espresso (as good as our espresso machine at home). Limoncello also has a nice supply of Italian coffee, too.Hmm, after all this talk of coffee, I think I'll head downstairs and have an espresso ...
3 comments:
I am jealous! But the no drip coffee machines kind of goes a long way to explain the teeth thing. Oops was that politically incorrect? Sorry. It just struck me as funny. I remember the stove top type my grand mother used one. But for me the coffee aficionado bug never quite took. I drink coffee for one reason only and that is to get my heart started. It could taste like dirt water with dog hair in it and I would still drink it...oh wait it does! I drink instant. I have also been known to eat instant coffee in a pinch!
Craig- arms akimbo vaults naked out the window!
The MSR machine is nice, but for a truly excellent espresso check out Savino's on Emmanuel St. The atmosphere isn't great (unless you like crampled, Italian cafes) but it's a short walk to the Emma paddock.
The coffee is really good, but I do miss making a larger quantity on a weekend morning, the aroma, enjoying a second cup without having to wash the gadget and start all over again.
Post a Comment